To create, promote, develop and propagate awareness of various laws,
rules and regulations related to maritime activities.
2. To advise and assist the parties in resolving
their disputes/grievances encountered by them in their normal
course of business in shipping and other related activities.
3. To enlighten the parties on various issues
likely to be faced by them in the matter of handling, forwarding
and clearing of Freight, Cargo and containers from the concerned
port and to assist them, if needed, in sorting out such issues.
4. To provide support and administrative services
for shipping companies registered outside India and to resolve
the disputes/issues faced by them with any ports or authorities
5. To give advice on the variety of options/procedure
for resolving disputes and to assist parties to choose the best
available mode for their particular dispute and to conduct mediation
and conciliation in Maritime related issues.
6. To establish centers or chapters in different
parts of India to promote the object of this institute and to
give administrative assistance and infrastructure for the same.
7. To conduct seminars, workshops, and training
programmes on Maritime Law and other laws relating to maritime
8. To enter into agreements with various organizations
for setting up of centers or chapters or with international institutions
for affiliations, Co. operations and/or accreditations.
9. To publish books, journals and periodicals
on Maritime Law and other laws relating to shipping industry.
10. To undertake all or any of the above objects,
either directly by the institute or through any other institutions
engaged in any of the above objects.
11. To act in collaboration with, enter into
agreement, integrate activities or co-operate in efforts of individuals,
institutions or organizations whether Indian or Foreign for the
furtherance of the objects of the institute.
12. To take over, amalgamate or enter into
arrangements with other associations or organizations having objects
similar to the institute.
13. To borrow money on such terms and conditions
from bankers, financial institutions or others as the Board shall
deem necessary or expedient for achieving the objects of the institute.
14. To impart education, by conducting
courses and trainings in the area of Maritime studies and award
degrees or diplomas as the council of the institute may decide
from time to time.